All you do is soak it.
I am a fan of oatmeal because it is easy and simple, good and yummy, healthy AND it helps you eat to feel full and nourished.
For summer though I don’t really want a hot morning cereal, so this summer version comes from my memories of childhood cereals or rather as we call it back home, Muesli.
You can either prepare it at night before you go to bed or in the morning – it depends only on how soft or crunchy you like it and what works best for your schedule.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats per serving; use gluten free if you are celiac.
- 1 cup “milk” to your liking. I use either oat-milk or hemp-milk, but almond-milk is also an option and so is coco-nut milk. I avoid cow’s milk so that is why I am not suggesting that as an option here.
- Cinnamon; help balance your blood-sugar, but it also adds to the taste. Or use ginger, that is nice and fresh.
- Nuts and seeds; adds crunch and texture, of course also taste but more importantly good omega 3 fatty acids (fats) and protein, which helps make it a more substantial meal that holds you over for longer. We want breakfast to last you until lunch.
- Optional; ground flax seeds, chia seeds, coconut, and other yummies
Use the bowl you are going to eat out of and put the oats and “milk” in it. Let it sit either overnight in the fridge or for about 20-30 min. on your kitchen counter (if you choose to prepare it in the morning before eating it that is).
When it is done soaking, which basically is when the “milk” is absorbed or when it is as soft or still crunchy as you like it…there is no rule; add the cinnamon and nuts.
If you want to add more yum, you can add shredded coconut, flax, chia seeds, and you could add some dried fruit. Fresh fruit with grain tends to cause more gas and bloating. If you need more sweetness, try 100% maple syrup or a good quality honey. Honey is not considered vegan though, if that is important to you.
Sit down to enjoy with a nice cup of tea before rushing off to start your day
-yes this is a suggestion for self-nourishing habits, but if that does not work then BYOB (Bring Your Own Breakfast) because breakfast is one of the two meals in a day that you do not want to skip if you want to get your health, your habits and your weight in alignment with your goals. In my book Eat to Feel Full I talk about how our survival mechanism can get triggered into craving carbs and eating breakfast is a good way to start the day fueled up on the good carbs. The ones that actually give you sustainable energy for a good day’s work.